Saturday 28 May 2011

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

30

Most of the books I thought I would dislike but ended up loving are books that I have been assigned in school. If you have been reading my blog for awhile you know that I don’t do well with assigned reading. But there are some books that I have been assigned that I really liked. The Remains of the DayOne such book is The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was assigned to me in one of my popular lit classes when I was getting my MEd. So it had that against it. It also had another strike towards it. A few years earlier I had read Never Let Me Go and HATED it. Something which surprised me because I usually like dystopian novels. So to say that I was sceptical was an understatement. All that said, I really liked the book.

The main character, for all his faults, was likeable. The story told was compelling. And the quiet storytelling both surprised and appealed to me. There was something sad and quiet about the old man that I could strangely relate to. To me it felt odd but in a good way.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. Some people might say this book was boring, but I loved reading between the lines. A wonderful story!