Thursday 30 September 2010

Banned Book Week: The Banned Book Cove*

Banned book week

As every other blogger out there I have a TBR list, and as I’ve previously discussed I am now referring to it as Lake TBR. today I will introduce you to the part of Lake TBR that I like to refer to as The Banned Book Cove. It is the part of the lake where all the banned books I want to read live :D

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

This book seems so very interesting and thought provoking. It has been on my TBR list for years I just never get around to it.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich

Once upon a time I was a student of economics, I actually started out as a double major in business studies and economics but realised there was to much maths in economics for me. What I was interested in was development economics and the economics of everyday. This book looks like it looks at economics on a more personal level, that is where my interest lies.

The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeanette Walls

I am a watcher of people (not in a creepy way though :D). People and the lives they live facinate me. That’s why I like reading memoirs and biographies, this book interests me for these reasons.

A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn

I love history told by ordinary people. This was the history I wasn’t allowed to study in school but that my interest in people draws me to. The fact that it has been challenged only makes me want to read it more.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Yes I have not read this seminal book on the banning of books. But I really do want to read it. In addition to the overall topic of book banning I also want to read it for the dystopian aspect. I love dystopian books.

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Several different book bloggers have raved about this book over the past year and although graphic novels are not my normal medium I really do want to read this book. It sounds like a fantastic story.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

The story of Lolita is so often quoted in pop culture that I want to read it for myself. I don’t expect it to be a comfortable read. I don’t expect to love it. But I do want to read it.

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

This book seems to show up on every reading list in US high schools and I want to read it for that reason. Also I have a peculiar fondness for school stories set during the world wars.

Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather

I really enjoyed My Ántonia when I read it and everyone said I should read Death Comes for the Archbishop so here it is, the last book on this edition of Banned Book Cove. Please come back next year to see what progress I’ve made :D

 

SignatureCopyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

No comments: