Tuesday 15 September 2009

Book Review: Pawn of Prophecy

Publishers Blurb: A magnificent epic set against a history of seven thousand years of the struggles of Gods and Kings and men - of strange lands and events - of fate and a prophecy that must be fulfilled!

THE BELGARIAD

Long ago, so the Storyteller claimed, the evil God Torak sought dominion and drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.

But that was only a story, and Garion did not believe in magic dooms, even though the dark man without a shadow had haunted him for years.

Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved - but did not know?

For a while his dreams of innocence were safe, untroubled by knowledge of his strange heritage. For a little while...

THUS BEGINS BOOK ONE OF THE BELGARIAD

My Review: I've loved this book since my mother first read it to me when I was about 10 or 11. Back then I think I loved the adventure. Now I can appreciate the insight we get into the confused mind of a teenage boy along with the mystery that the quest presents. It is an easy read that is definitely accessible for most readers but at the same time there are many layers to the book that makes re-reading a pleasure. As it is the first book in a series I will write a longer review once I've read the whole series.

4 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I LOVED this series when I read it way back when. I was so excited to see it listed on the Saturday Review of Books at Semicolon's blog. :)

Zee said...

Thank you! It holds a very special place in my heart because it was the first "grown up" book I read. I was very upset to see them in the YA section a few years ago. Not because they aren't suitable for that age or that there is anything wrong with YA (I LOVE YA books) but for me it was a grown up book.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Oh me too! It always seemed like such an adult book to me too, especially since my dad read it and gave it to me to read. :)

Zee said...

In my case it was my mum! Queen of Sorcery was the last book she ever read out loud to me. She would read a chapter and then I would continue reading after she had said good night. She gave up reading to me when I said I had already read that :)