Thursday 15 July 2010

Weekly Geeks 2010-23: Book Trailers

WG Relaxing_thumb[3] This week the Weekly Geek question is about book trailers: do you watch them and if so what do you think about them.

To be honest, I don’t watch book trailers. I don’t read that many new releases so I don’t go seeking them out on the net and they aren’t really being shown on this side of the pond. In addition to this I’m not sure I want to see them but in order to write this post I decided to go and have a look at some of the ones posted on the Moby award site. I have to say it did not make me want to watch any more. I purposely chose books I would not want to read to see if they could convince me to read them. They did not. I really don’t want images put in my head before I read a book. Sometimes I even don’t want to look at the covers because I want my own ideas of what things look like, how names are pronounced etc. I don’t want some advertiser to tell me that. I think I will stick to avoiding them in the future.

I do want to say that although book trailers are not for me I am not against their existence. If they bring more people into reading then hey they are a good thing!

Signature

Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only been aware of book trailers for a very short time (like several weeks). I do not search them out, and the few that I have seen were rather meaningless. So, not a big fan!

Rikki said...

ITA. Seems most book bloggers don't like them. Like you I went to the site and had a look. I wasn't impressed.