Sunday 4 July 2010

TSS: June Round-Up

The Sunday Salon.com

First off: Happy Independence Day to all Americans out there!

USA Summer 08 304

So June was a fairly busy month for me, I worked loads and that seriously cut into my reading time but I still managed, a for me respectable, seven books (almost 8). So what books did I read in June?

Months-June5bymagic_art Image Credit

I started off the month with a book that I actually read in May but the review, part of the Classic Circuit, was posted on June 1st so it is included in this months round-up.

Murder-at-the-Vicarage-mast_jpg_235x600_q95 Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie. I didn’t love this book like I wanted to. I just don’t like books with a large info dump at the end. I think it cheats the readers a bit.

 

the-unlikely-disciple-cover1 The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be interesting and I really felt like I learned something while reading it, while at the same time being entertained. It is a book I highly recommend to others who are interested in people and religion.

Then I completely immersed myself in Julia Spencer-Flemings Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne mysteries. I LOVE them and can’t wait for the seventh book in the series to come out sometime this winter (hopefully).

a fountain filled with blood

Out of the deep I cry To Darkness and to Death all-mortal-flesh I shall not want

 




A Fountain Filled With Blood

Out of the Deep I Cry

To Darkness and To Death

All Mortal Flesh

I Shall Not Want

crime and punishment I also managed another book for the Classic Circuit this month, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I didn’t love it like I thought I would (I am sensing a theme here) but this time I think a lot of the problems were with the translation I read. I am willing to give it another go with a different translation.

 

Audio book week Overall June was a pretty good blogging month (at least compared to May). Along with the above mentioned reviews I also wrote several posts for Devourer of Books Audiobook Week Event (Great event Jen I really enjoyed it!)

 

Overall a good month! I also have high hopes for July although it should be just as busy as June, I’ve got work scheduled and I continue to be on the sub list for those weeks I am not on the schedule. Plus (and infinitely more important) I am due to become an aunt for the first time any day now!! So excited!

Hope you are all having a great summer so far!

Signature

Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

3 comments:

Carin said...

I am amazed that you read so many books..especially Crime and Punishment and still had time to read all those other books. It took me several months to get through C&P. I loved it, but it was definitely challenging and I had to take a lot of time to think about it.

I am going to suggest the Julia Spencer-Fleming books for my thriller book club. I keep seeing you talk about them, so now I want to read them!

Zee said...

C&P was very challenging and I would like to read it again sometime when I have more time. I think the Julia Spencer-Fleming books would make for a REALLY good book club selection. If your group does choose it you should check out her website, she has stuff for groups http://www.juliaspencerfleming.com/

Carin said...

Oh thanks! I'll definitely look it up!