Tuesday 22 June 2010

Audiobook Week: How to Write an Audiobook Review

Audio book week This week Devourer of Books is running an audiobook week and each day she asks us to write a discussion post. Today’s topic is “How to Write an Audibook Review”.

When I write audiobook reviews you can usually tell that it is an audiobook from the fact that I try to remember to put it in the title. For example Book Review: The Namesake [Audio]. I also always (again try to) include the name of the narrator like here:

book review example

Here you can see that it was narrated by Sarita Choudhury. I include this information because it is information I would like as a listener. There are some narrators I love, others I would like to avoid, it feels like it is information my readers should have.

When it comes to the actual review of the books I have to admit I am inconsistent. I would like to become more consistent and what I would like to do is more like what I have done in my review of The Kite Runner where I have commented on both the story and how it made me feel and on the narrator itself. Again this is information I think a reader needs to have, I also want to keep it separate like I have in The Kite Runner rather than in the review as I did in The Namesake because I want my readers to be able to look for just that information without having to look to hard.

One of my goals for my blog is to become more consistent in my review format. I need to make sure that I always include the narrator and my thoughts on the audio production as separate entities. For me that is key. I want to be able to go back to a review and find that information easily, and that is what I want to provide my readers with.

Signature

Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

I like to first review the book as the book -- so all my readers can decide to add the book to their wish list or not. Then I review the audio production so my audiobook readers can decide on print or audio.

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I'm trying to make my audiobook reviews more consistent too. For a long time it was hit and miss if I even remembered to put 'audiobook' in the subject line.