Wednesday 9 December 2009

GLBT Challenge 2010: Introductory Post

woolfbutton GLBT challenge
Amanda from The Zen Leaf and Jen from Multi-Genre Fan are hosting a very important and interesting challenge in 2010, the GLBT Challenge 2010. The challenge seeks to highlight GLBT literature.

The rules are fairly simple:
The basic idea of this challenge is to read books about GLBT topics and/or by GLBT authors.
The challenge runs year-round, and there will be three levels of participation:
  • Lambda Level: Read 4 books.
  • Pink Triangle Level: Read 8 books.
  • Rainbow Level: Read 12 or more books.
You don't need to choose your books right away, and they can change at any time. Overlaps with other challenges are fine.

I’m aiming for the Lambda Level but you never know, I might upgrade. I am one of those people who needs a list or nothing happens so here is my list (I do however reserve the right to change my mind):

The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson. I read Nymeth’s review of this earlier this year and it sounded fantastic. It is a YA book about three girls. This will probably be an audio book.

My Most Excellent Year: A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins, and Fenway Park by Steve Kluger. Another blog find. This time from Bart’s Bookshelf.  Another YA book about three friends and one year in their lives.

En Komikers Uppväxt by Jonas Gardell. This book is by Swedish author Jonas Gardell. Gardell is one of Sweden’s most GLBT writers. This book tells of twelve year old Juha Lindström. It has been called on of the funniest and saddest portrayals of childhood ever written. This is one of those books almost all Swedish school children read at some point.

Om Gud by Jonas Gardell. Same author as above. This book is a cross read with the World Religion Challenge.

Brokeback Mountain by Anne Proulx. I bought this book because I thought I was supposed to read it for a class in popular lit. Turns out we were supposed to watch the movie. Since I have it I figure I should read it.

3 comments:

Ana S. said...

I really loved the first and the second and have Brokeback Mountain on my tbr pile as well. Happy reading!

Amanda said...

Thanks for joining us, Zee! I love your holiday layout! This is the first I've seen of it!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I joined this one as well. Looking forward to it :)