Wednesday 1 December 2010

Nordic Challenge: Sign Up Post

Nordic Challenge 2011I live in Sweden but in the last year I’ve realised that I read very few books by Nordic authors. I wanted to remedy that and threw out the idea of a Nordic author challenge. Several people showed interest so here we are.



When: January 1st, 2011- December 31st 2011



Levels
There will be 5 levels. The levels are
Huginn and Muninn: Read 2 books
Freya: Read 3-5 books
Tor: Read 6-10 books
Odin: Read 11-20 books
Valhalla: Read 20+ books



The Rules
There is no need to make a list before hand. Any book by any author born in a Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and/or Sweden) or a book set in a Nordic country.
They can be from any genre (I will be reading a mixture of classics, children’s books, YA and mystery).



Linking
I’ve decided to do links by quarter so at the beginning of January, April, July and October a page will go up for links.



Prizes
From the links each quarter I will draw a winner, the winner will win a book that I can ship from BookDepository. When the page for the links go up I will also provide a list of books you can choose from. The prizes are open to anyone living in a country the BookDepository ships to. To see if your country qualifies check here.



Buttons
Here is the button I made, feel free to grab.

Nordic Challenge 2011
If anyone is better than me at making buttons contributions are gratefully received!



Resource List
I’m working on a resource list and hope to have it up in the next few days. If you have read any books by Nordic authors that you want to share please send me a message at Zommbie1 @ gmail [dot] com (I’ve got plenty of Swedish authors but am having more of an issue with the other countries *is shamefaced*)
Sign up here

Sign up here. If you write a sign up post use that to link. If not just put a link to your blog!







Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

34 comments:

Eva said...

I love that button Zee! If I hadn't decided not to participate in challenges, I'd be all over this. As it is, I'll probably make a pool anyway and be an 'unofficial' participant. ;) I've gotten quite interested in Scandinavian lit this year! Can't wait to see your resource list!

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I always call myself a reader of Scandinavian books and soon I will have to call myself an ex-reader of Scandinavian books because I haven't touched one in the last 6 months I think. Well, maybe I have but it's not much, these days.

So, I'll go for the Freya level and read 3-5 books. I will write a post about it sometime this or next week and link up.

I LOVE the button!!!!

I will send you my book suggestions today so don't post your list yet!

Kerrie said...

This was just what I was looking for :-)

JoV said...

You've weaken my resolve not to participate next year, but this is so.... enticing!

I like to read a list of Swedish literature resource list. I only know a few and all of them are crime fictions (which shows you how much I know about the writing scene in Noric, whose people by the way speaks excellent English!)

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

I'm in and planning for the Valhalla Level.Read 20+ books.

Anamika said...

JoV enabled me to sign up for this challenge. I am aiming for Freya. Thanks for the resource list, it came really handy.

Song said...

This sounds interesting. I'm in!:)

Risa

Karen Russell said...

I read so many last year that I had to count them toward other challenges. So, I'll go for the Odin level and don't expect to have any trouble with that!

Thanks for hosting!

Chinoiseries said...

Hi! (Found this challenge through Leeswammes) I just bought a Jostein Gaarder's book, so might as well join in ;) Great excuse to read more Nordic books all in all :)

Anna said...

awesome idea, not sure what level i am but want to read lots as i'm blogging about crime fiction and I love scandinavian books in this genre.
if anyone has any recommendations then pls share. after larsson i like henning mankell and am making up my mind about jo nesbo...

Serena said...

If the Steig Larsson series counts, I'm in the challenge.

Zee said...

@Anna Have you tried Sjöwall-Wahlöö?

@Serena Stieg Larsson definitely counts!

Serena said...

Fantastic. I'm adding this challenge to my announcement. I'm gonna read the 3 Steig Larsson books I've been meaning to read.

Carol Berg said...

I'd like to join this, but don't have a URL. Can I just leave my email and still be part of this??
Thanks,
Carol

bergcaro (at) gmail.com

Danielle said...

Thank you for hosting this challenge, which is exactly what I have been looking for: so glad you are making it Nordic instead of Scandinavian! I look forward to participating.

iasa said...

Sounds like fun! Count me in at the Freya level.

Martha G said...

I'm signing up at the Freya level, but hope to read more than 5 books.

shalulah said...

I'm going for Freya. Great idea!

NancyO said...

Hi! I'm in. I see a lot of old challenge buddies here already!

Chrisbookarama said...

I'm in for Freya level.

Susan said...

I'm in for Tor! Please note: my blog is not entirely or even nearly all about books, but about too many things besides! Thanks for posting the challenge.

Zee said...

@Carole You will need to have a blog in order to link to reviews and be eligible for the prizes. If you don't want to win the prizes you are fine the way you are :)

@Susan All kinds of blogs are welcome so no worries :)

@Everyone else I'll pop around and visit this week and next. I just need to get this bear of a thesis done first!!

Jenn said...

Very excited! I was looking for a challenge like this! Thanks!

LizzySiddal said...

I've found myself inspired by the recent Nordic Noir program. So I'd like to join in if it's not too late. I'll be Freya.

Zee said...

@Lizzy It is absolutely not to late! Glad to have you!

Unknown said...

This sounds fantastic and will help me with my own challenge of 50 books this year!!!

Thanks :)

BokOrm09 said...

Sounds like the perfect excuse to disappear into more Nordic fiction!! As if I needed one :)

amy@movingfloor said...

I'm so glad that I found this. My goal is Freya.

Michelle D. said...

I was referred to this challenge by Stephanie Hasty. I'm trying to read a book a week this year, and this sounds like a great way to help me choose! :)

Unknown said...

A bit late in discovering this challenge, but I love reading crime novels from Scandinavia. This time I will try and include some other genres.

Cathy said...

I know I am late but I love challenges and for some reason this year I have been reading novel set outside the USA. I will be trying the Freya Level. Now I just need to choose my books.

Anonymous said...

Oh, awesome. I've completed my other reading challenges for 2011 so I think I'll try and see if I can complete the Tor or Odin level of this one. Thank you! :)

Forestwoodfolkart said...

I just came across this link from Bernadette's blog and hope I am not too late to participate as I primarily read Scandinavian literature. Not worried about the winner/s, just the participating. Love the Scandi crime fiction genre especially. Will hope to reach Valhalla, but at this stage in the year, Odin is the best I can wish for! Have enjoyed and reviewed Indridason's book as well as others (and other matters)on my blog. Hope you count Icelandic authors such as him, as well. Karin Fossum is always a good read too. Peter Hoeg too, but these may not be to everyone's taste. Thanks for this great idea.

Zee said...

Absolutely not to late to join, glad to have you! And Icelandic authors definitely count!