Friday 23 October 2009

Book Review: Castle of Wizardry


Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings

Category: Fantasy

Synopsis:
The Orb has been saved from the clutches of the evil Sorcerer Ctuchik now all that remains is to return it to its rightful place at Riva. Or so the boy Garion believes. However the Prophecy holds more surprises for Garion than he ever thought possible and the same holds true for Princess Ce'Nedra. What happens next is beyond the wildest imaginations of the two teenagers and they begin to realise that their journey has but started.

My Thoughts:
This book picks up the pace of the story at an almost alarming speed. It does slow down every so often but you soon figure out that actually the slowing down is simply there in order to lull you into a false sense of security because they are about to make a very sharp turn.

I love it.

The book reveals much about Garions rather mysterious background. Garion again becomes the rather agreeable character he is in the first book rather than the sullen moody teenager he is in books two and three and I for one found it refreshing. However, Garion's transformation isn't as surprising as the transformation that Ce'Nedra goes through. We still see glimpses of the spoiled child we first met but now they are more of a character trait and not her whole character. I don't really want to write more in case it spoils anyone.

I really love how Eddings (or should I say the Eddingses as Davids wife Leigh was heavily involved in writing these books) manage to portray the teenagers who are their main characters. They really feel authentic.



Disclaimer: I own this book. It was bought at a used bookstore sometime between 2001 and 2005 for £2.50 (I only know this because the price is on the first page in pencil). Although the FTC regulations really don't apply to me right now I figure it is best to get used to putting this on my reviews. My government are being pesky too :) I am however an Amazon Associate so if you click through on the link above and buy the book I get a teeny percentage that I can use to buy books. I still haven't gotten anything from this but I like to offer my readers a place to buy the book. I also buy my books from BookDepository because they offer free shipping.

No comments: