Wednesday 14 October 2009

Book Review: Magician's Gambit


Magician's Gambit by David Edding

Synopsis: The journey to find the stole orb goes on. The mixed group is further added too but two members are left behind as the final stages of the quest are entered. Garion starts to learn more about the enormous power that lives inside him and we get to meet the dry voice in his head. In previous books we were told the story through the eyes of Garion or through an impersonal narrator. Now we are introduced to the thoughts and feelings of another character, Ce'Nedra, Imperial Princess of Tolnedra. Ce'Nedra, like any good Tolnedran does not believe in sorcery. It is simply trickery. These beliefs are continually ground down as it becomes clear what her companions in general and Garion specifically can do.

My thoughts: I like the introduction of the second main narrative character. Although I can more readily identify with Garion than with Ce'Nedra I find it refreshing to hear another thought pattern. Although I am older now than when I first read these books I can remember how important Ce'Nedra's views on what she saw was. She was very different from me but at the same time many of the feelings she exhibited were feelings I had (and still have).

The book continues to mix humour with the serious. The characters are further developed (although some characters remain very one dimensional) and the plot thickens.

I enjoy this book (and the series as a whole) for the pure escapeism they offer. None of the books are difficult to read. The plot is intricate but not difficult to follow. The lands depicted throughout the story bear striking resemblances to countries in our world(and the stereotypes connected with them). Me and my friends would spend time trying to deduce which countries or cultures from our lives were portrayed in the books.

Disclaimer: I own this book. It was bought at a used bookstore sometime between 2001 and 2005 for £2.50 (I only know this because the price is on the first page in pencil). Although the FTC regulations really don't apply to me right now I figure it is best to get used to putting this on my reviews. My government are being pesky too :)

2 comments:

kayerj said...

my son-in-law loves reading David Eddings. I've read a few

Zee said...

I've loved them since I was a tweenager :). I try to re-read them every few years. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling.