Saturday 7 November 2009

Book Review: Kindred in Death


Kindred in Death by J. D. Robb

Category: Crime Fiction

Synopsis: Courtesy of Amazon because I don't feel like thinking today. When the newly promoted captain of the NYPSD and his wife return a day early from their vacation, they were looking forward to spending time with their bright and vivacious sixteen-year-old daughter who had stayed behind.

Not even their worst nightmares could have prepared them for the crime scene that awaited them instead. Brutally murdered in her bedroom, Deena's body showed signs of trauma that horrified even the toughest of cops; including our own Lieutenant Eve Dallas, who was specifically requested by the captain to investigate.

When the evidence starts to pile up, Dallas and her team think they are about to arrest their perpetrator; little do they know yet that someone has gone to great lengths to tease and taunt them by using a variety of identities. Overconfidence can lead to careless mistakes. But for Dallas, one mistake might be all she needs to bring justice.


My Thoughts: This series isn't one that requires a lot of thought on the part of the reader. The books follow the same pattern. The characters are developed through the 35 books in the series so reading them from the start is a good idea but they aren't hard (looking back over my reading log I realised that some months I have read five or six of these books plus novels for school (actually last November I polished off 9 plus Death of a Salesman)). To me this fact make them a perfect read for a decidedly gray Saturday (we had the lights on ALL DAY).

This book continues the pattern of previous books in the series yet manages to still entertain. Although the all follow the same basic plot to me they stay fresh. What I enjoy the most is the humour and the interactions between the recurring characters in the books. They feel real. They are people that I can relate to. I really enjoyed seeing Jamie return, I've missed him, and I think that perhaps Roberts has introduced another character of whom we will see more off, Peach. If she does reapear I will be happy.

The past few books in the series have left me feeling a bit meh but not this one. I was gripped. The interactions between the main and supporting characters that felt a bit samey in the past few books did not feel so this time. The drama that felt a bit concocted wasn't there. It all felt more natural.

If you enjoy murder mysteries where you yourself don't have to figure out who the killer is this series is definitely for you. Since I am not much of a puzzle solver and ridiculously fond of network crime show this is a perfect series for me.

Is it February 2010 yet?

No comments: