Wednesday 25 November 2009

Comfort Reads

bookwormcarnival Ms. Bookish is hosting the 42nd Bookworms Carnival. Her topic is Comfort Reads. Since I am currently sick I find this topic very appropriate.

I have several books that I go to when I am sick or just feel the need to curl up  with something to get lost in. There is something so comforting about going back to books where you know what is going to happen yet you are still entertained. Books where you don’t have to think but still you have something to get from them. My favourite books that fall into this category are:

David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean series, you can read my review of the first five books if you follow the link. I'll be reviewing the final seven books during 2010.

Right now I’ve been listening to Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums. I got them from Audible over the summer and laying in bed this morning this was perfect. I know what happens so if I doze off it doesn’t really matter if I miss something.The books have a fairly simple story line but you end up really caring for the characters.

My final one is J. D. Robb’s In Death Series. Although this is a murder mystery series it is still one of my comfort reads because I know it well and it is easy to read. This series makes me laugh and the characters feel very real, even Roark for all his money.

These books all have one thing in common, they are fairly easy reads (and listens) and they have a certain feel good factor with them. You know who the good people are and who the bad people are. You know what is going to happen. Although there are some twists they don’t really throw you for a spin. I’m not saying that being thrown for a spin is a bad thing, simply when I am sick I want something predictable. That is real comfort.

1 comment:

Belle said...

Thanks so much for this submission, Zee! The Pern series has always been a personal favorite of mine, but I've never thought to listen to them in audio. I'm putting the entire series in my list of books to reread in audio - I think I'm in for a good time!