Saturday 14 November 2009

Weekly Geeks: Podcasts

WG Relaxing_thumb[3]The Weekly Geeks is a weekly challenge started by Dewey that features different aspects blogging in general and book blogging specifically.
This weeks challenge is:
Dewey worded it this way, "find and review a link to a book podcast." I’m modifying this just a bit and am asking you to share with us a podcast you love, preferably book related, but not necessarily so. Give us the link, of course, and share with us details about that podcast and why you enjoy it so much. If you have a couple or three favourites, share them all!
My share is In Our Time on BBC Radio 4.
Each week “Melvyn Bragg and guests investigate the history of ideas.” As you can see from the blurb from the Beeb it isn’t just concerning books but ideas in general. However, there are many goodies there for those who want to hear about books. Some of my favourites have been the programs on:

A Modest Proposal
Brave New World
The History of History

and one for those in the book blogging community doing the Women Unbound Challenge Suffragism.
They also did a whole series on Darwin earlier this year to celebrate his 200th birthday. I found it fascinating.

Don’t limit yourself simply to the culture archives as there is much to find in all of the archives for any curious soul. I have found programs that are well worth it in the other archives as well as they give you insight into writers and the history around them. Each show also comes with links if you want to explore the topic further.


Each show is about 42 minutes long and you can subscribe to the current season on iTunes (and several other services) for free. To listen to the archives you need RealPlayer. Most of the old shows are available.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

SariJ said...

I love watching the BBC and would love to listen to this podcast.I am off to subscribe now.
Thanks for sharing your choice with us.

Bernadette said...

When my computer died earlier this year I lost all my podcast subscriptions and have slowly been adding them back as I remember them. I completely forgot about In Our Time so thanks for the reminder.

Kerrie said...

Thanks for the recommendations to explore