Monday 9 November 2009

Musing Mondays


Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about your bookshelf… 

Does your house have a communal bookshelf? If not, is your bookshelf centrally located so everyone has access to it?

We have communal bookshelves. I currently live with my parents in the house my family has lived in for the last 15 years (I've been away and come back for school). We have a library. Yep a room dedicated to books. Currently it is being renovated but it needs to be done by November 20th. This is where a large portion of our books normally live (they are currently in paper bags in various corners of the house).

However, we have more books than we have ever been able to fit in there so going through the house from one guest bedroom to another: North side guest bedroom: one small bookshelf plus I found some books in a box in that attic yesterday. Back staircase: my dad's old school books along the shelf under the eves. Mum's sewing room: quilting and craft books in a cupboard. Library: most of the books (normally). Pantry: Cookbooks. Southside landing: Childrens' and YA books in a cupboard. Collegeboys room: Assorted books. My study: school books plus most of "my" fiction books (big stack on the floor I need more bookcases). My bedroom: books on the nightstand (they live there otherwise they would be in previous mentioned pile on the floor). Southside staircase: Childrens' books on the shelf under the eves (stacked double high). My old bedroom: YA books and other books that have yet to be transferred to my new bedroom.

Everyone has access to most of these books without having to knock (really the only private space is my bedroom and study and if anyone wanted books from there they can come in and get them). Books in my family are really considered communal property. We all read and we all share. It doesn't really matter who bought the book.

And I'll be posting pictures once the library is done.


2 comments:

kayerj said...

how nice--a library. I hope to have one soon as well we are also in the middle of a remodel. Right now my books are homeless.

caite said...

rooms and rooms of books and a library too. You are SO lucky! ;-)