Monday 23 November 2009

Musing Mondays: Books From School

Musing Mondays (BIG)_thumb[1] 
 Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about your bookshelf… 

What books did you read while in school? Were there any that you particular liked, or even hated? Did any become lifelong favourites?

I have always loved reading. When I was in 6th grade my teacher only made me do a book report for every third book I read. Everyone else had to do it for every book they read. I still had more book reports at the end of the year than anyone else.

That said, there were some books that we were assigned in school that I did not like. That I could not finish. That I have no desire to ever re-read. The one that really comes in mind here is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. It was our assigned reading the summer between my junior and senior year in high school. I read about half the book and then the last three chapters. It just didn’t capture me at all.

A book that became a lifelong favourite was Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (review). It just captured me in a way that very few books had done then. It informed the way I thought.

I am studying to be an English teacher and I want to transfer my love for literature to my students. I want everyone to find the book that helps them think. That helps them grow! I’m really interested in hearing everyone else’s responses to this question!

2 comments:

Eva said...

That's neat that you're studying to be an English teacher to pass your love of reading on. :) I've always been an avid reader, but a lot of the required reading in school disappointed me-Great Expectations, Red Badge of Courage, Death Comes for the Archbishop.

Anonymous said...

Despite being really short novels with simple language, Steinbeck's novels never hooked me. I hated reading them.