Tuesday 3 November 2009

Women Unbound: Start of Challenge Meme


WOMEN UNBOUND Start of Challenge Meme:
1. What does feminism mean to you? Does it have to do with the work sphere? The social sphere? How you dress? How you act?

Feminism to me is the ability for women and men to choose their own path in life without stereotypes attached to either gender. This includes not expecting all nurses to be women and all doctors to be men, that there are no chores that are male chores or female chores. We are all better suited for certain things depending on our individual attributes. This shouldn't be because we are men or women but because we are simply better at something. My favourite clothes are comfy close. I am fortunate enough that I can wear pretty much what I want to work, I tend to go fairly casual. As far as I act, I tend to treat men and women the same way. I treat my female and male students the same. For me they are there to learn and I am there to help them. Doesn't matter if they are men or women.

2. Do you consider yourself a feminist? Why or why not?

Yes. See the answer from above.

3. What do you consider the biggest obstacle women face in the world today? Has that obstacle changed over time, or does it basically remain the same?

I think that the central problem has always been the same. We as a society have expectations based on gender. These expectations then lead to stereotypes which means that women have expectations put on them that are not specific to them as individuals. What those expectations are do change over time. Now women are expected to be everything instead of being themselves. 

2 comments:

Aarti said...

You have really good comments above. Just because you can be casual at work doesn't mean that people shouldn't take you seriously, so just because you're a woman, that doesn't mean people shouldn't take you seriously.
Thanks for joining the challenge!

Eva said...

Your last sentence totally resonated with me. Can't wait to see your reviews for this challenge!