Monday 30 November 2009

Terry Pratchett 2010 Challenge: Introductory Post

MargReads_2010_Pratchett_v1sm

I went through a period in high school when I read nothing but Terry Pratchett (and assigned reading). I loved the books. My friends and I loved to quote the books (especially Death). For some reason I stopped reading them a few years ago and reading Reaper Man earlier this year I realised how much I had missed them, so I was really excited seeing this challenge hosted by Marg. The Challenge rules are very simple:

The challenge will start from 1 December 2009 and run through to 30 November 2010. There are several different levels of participation for you to choose from:

1-3 books - Cashier at Ankh-Morpork Mint
4-5 books - Guard of the City Watch
6-8 books - Academic at the Unseen University
9-10 books - Member of Granny Weatherwax's Coven
10-12 books - Death's Apprentice

You can either be reading the books for the first time, rereading, or even watching the TV adaptations if you like! As long as everyone has fun I will be happy! Please also do not feel limited to only reading the Discworld books as any books by Terry Pratchett will count for this challenge.

For a full list of the Discworld books in publication order, check out this page on the author's website for his page at Fantastic Fiction. The number of books either written by Terry Pratchett or about his work is a bit mind boggling really.

 

I’m aiming for the Cashier level although I might upgrade as the year goes on, they are the type of books that are hard to put down. My tentative list is

Hogfather. The commentary on our holiday traditions in this one are hilarious! This is also a cross challenge with The 2009 Holiday Challenge. I might also watch the excellent miniseries.

Unseen Academicals. This is Pratchett’s latest book and as a life long fan of football* I really want to read this!

*That would be soccer to those of you on the other side of the pond

The Last Hero. The illustrations in this book are gorgeous. I’ve had it for ages but for some reason never read it. Now it is taunting me. So it will be read.

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I love all of those! :D But then again, I love pretty much everything pTerry has written :P

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

This is a awesome reading challenge :) Unseen Academicals is on my christmas list, and I can't wait to read it.