Friday 20 November 2009

Book Review: Little House on the Prairie

Little House on the Prairie Little House on the Prairie by  Laura Ingalls Wilder

Category: Childrens

Synopsis: The second book in the classic children’s tale takes Ma, Pa, Mary, Laura and baby Carrie from the woods of Wisconsin to Oklahoma and Indian territory. It tells of the family’s first year (and only) year on the Prairie.

My Thoughts: I read this for the Childhood Favourites Challenge. Growing up this was never really my favourite book and I think part of my problem was the attitude towards the Indians. This time reading it I did appreciate Pa’s view that they should treat the Indians with respect.

What I do like about this book is the quite contentedness with the every day. There is no need to be ‘entertained’ something that I think is all to prevalent in today’s society. I felt a great calm reading this book.

I also love Garth Williams drawings in my copy. They are so beautifully done.

Laura was a childhood heroine of mine. I wanted to be like her. She wasn’t always good (neither was I). She had adventures (looking back now so did I). Thinking about my childhood heroines they were often like Laura. A bit of a free spirit. Not ladylike, wanting to be in the thick of things and very curious about everything. That was me. Because Laura was a childhood heroine of mine I have also tagged this entry with Women Unbound even though I did not read it for that challenge. She had a part in shaping who I am as a woman.

Reading through my childhood favourites I will be mentioning other childhood heroines of mine.




2 comments:

Eva said...

I know that I read this whole series (my mom gave me her copies from when she was a little girl), and I remember liking it, but I didn't reread it a bunch the way I did other books. That's lovely why she was a heroine to you, and I think it makes sense to tag it as Women Unbound!

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

I've never read this series, it wasn't very popular in Australia where I grew up, but I must give it a go. I know I've seen a tv episode or two of it.